Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July 13, 2010

Using specific evidence to support your arguments, are you for or against Arizona SB 1070?
Arizona’s new immigration law has spurred controversy due to its “tough” implications. The bill itself allows any officer to ask for citizenship verification if he or she has “reasonable suspicion” of a person already being detained. Not only is the person detained and questioned, but the law also makes it a state crime to be in the country illegally. I believe the law will create racial profiling, I also think that it will increase crime rates in Arizona in particular because with officials and attorneys “cracking” down on the illegal immigrants, they would not focus as much on the other more serious crimes such as rape and murder. According to a USA today report, many illegal immigrants have already fled the state even before the law became official. This is mostly due to the bad economy of Arizona; even schools have noticed a major drop in attendance. I also believe that Arizona’s economy will decline greatly because illegal immigrants account for $29 million of its budget (as stated by Stephen Colbert in “Comedy Central”). By kicking them out of the country, they let go of approximately 12% of their work force.

In the attempt of protecting their borders, I believe Arizona is doing its part, what I don’t agree with is the process by which they choose to carry out such task. It’s understandable that Arizona is applying this new law due to the issues some illegal immigrants impose; such issues include the trafficking of illegal drugs to the United States. But I believe I speak for many when I say most Mexican (and other nationalities) immigrants come to this country in search of a better life, more opportunities than the ones given to them in their native country and most of all “the American dream”. If we negate these opportunities to people then are we truly “the land of the free”? And besides, wasn’t our country built on immigrants? Those immigrants who thrived and built this nation to what it now stands to be. All in all, I am not for Arizona’s new immigration law because it implies racial profiling, I also believe that it would affect Arizona’s economy in a negative because it is undeniable that illegal immigrants are imperative to the work force of Arizona.


www.csmonitor.com/ “Hispanics abandon Arizona, fleeing economy, immigration law” Haq, Husna Jun. 10, 2010

PBS NEWSHOUR “Unexpected Economic Consequences in Arizona’s Immigration Law”. Chinni, Dante. Jul. 8, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment