In a perfect world, what and how would you change the educational system in our country?
-The thing I would change about our educational system is the fact that our whole “purpose” of going to school is in preparation for a job. And as I once heard, “education isn’t preparation for life, education is life itself”. I believe this statement to be correct. We may not necessarily need all the subjects we learn in our future jobs, but it is definitely part of life. I believe learning should not only be limited to the things we “have” to learn, but the things that help us as human beings, the things that interest us and challenge us to explore ore on the subject. I believe the educational system has based itself off of standards that are forever changing. I mean, there are 50 different sets of standards, one pertaining to each state. How then is it likely we know what true education is when we are not setting national standards. I believe that due to this, the states should not have as much control over regulating education and standards. In y opinion, our educational system would greatly flourish if our country as a whole developed one set of standards as well as expectations for all students.
Another thing I would change is the fact that parents are being forced to enroll their students to certain schools because they live in certain area. I believe it to be unfair that parents don’t have the choice of a good quality school for their children. If there were more options for parents, I believe kids would be motivated and so would the teachers because they‘re expected to be excellent. It is evident that in other countries such as the Netherlands, education is of higher quality. This may be due to the fact that people get to choose where they want to attend school, and being that every school is of equal quality, every student gets the opportunity to learn and strive at the same level. Changes such as these may improve our educational system, because it’s not about spending money to better schools. It’s about shifting focus, starting to take education as a part of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment